Wednesday, August 17, 2005

In October of 2004, I was fortunate enough to move into my 1st home on 1/2 acre, mostly in redwoods, in Santa Cruz Mountain town of Boulder Creek. Almost as soon as vernal equinox arrived, I realized my winter twilight will commence at about 1:30 p.m.

Now that I've had almost a full summer here, my max. sunshine is about 4 hours........As a gardener, I'm relishing the challenge of how to plant for a blast of midday sun and deep shade the remainder of the day..............as well as fending off deer and gophers and trying to replace the 1/2 acre of ivy with California natives.

Thus my blog name: Moments of Sunshine.

I do hope you'll comment, especially if you can add anything on planting in redwood forests, things that bloom red or orange with very little sun, etc.

I've already discovered a nearby California native plant nursery Yerba Buena Nursery at <http://www.yerbabuenanursery.com/Index.htm> and a really good (so far....only been trying it a month) deer repellant based on peppermint oil (long-lasting and pre-mixed or concentrate......smells good to me! but not to the deer) called Deer Out <http://www.deerout.com/>.

Any and all recommendations to make my paradise even more heavenly are welcome. In turn, I'll try to keep you apprised of good restaurants and cool music venues.

Pictures coming as soon as I can figure that bit out!


No comments:

Post a Comment